Re: [DL] Alternative Powers Cost (Was Toxic Shaman)

At 03:14 AM 5/24/00, you wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>Sorry for the delay, thanks for the response on Weird West Toxic Shaman.
>
>I was thinking (Careful I hear you say) that these original Toxics
>should have a Cost to their powers more in line with the Weird West, due
>to the fact that HOW AB's have an easier (No flaming please) time with
>Strain than say Backlash.
>
>So to show the evolution of these originals I was interested in an
>alternative Cost for the Toxic Shaman.

I dunno. considering:
a) there is no radiation, thus no radiation favors
b) there is little sludge
c) there is little smog
d) the Insect Spirits have not hopped on the bandwagon
and
e) no spook juice

It is almost impossible for them to regain strain.  pretty much, they MUST
spend chips or never leave the big city, and even then, outside New York
and Salt lake City there is hardly enough smog or sludge to work with.

Thus, I don't see a problem with the strain costs.

>I was also thinking of an alternative for Psykers in the Weird West
>along the lines of them recieving mind bending visions rather than
>strain.

I just use the Tempest problem: suprise them, and one of their powers goes
off.  remember, being psychic was very chic in this era (not to mention a
good way to imply sexual prowess).  many of our ideas about psychic powers
come from it, in fact.  I just have Sykers limited to their one specialty,
and make it require a teacher to learn other powers (thus almost impossible
except in London, Paris, and Vienna.)

>Possibly showing an evolution from Past Abs to future ones.
>
>Any thoughts,

well, Tempest Sykers have been part of my game for a long, long time.  I
use them in my adaptation for the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign, as well
as just general when I need a psychic.

Toxic Shamans, from my understanding, came into their own during the
wasting, thus I don't have any running around in WW.

>MAx

TBS