Re: [DL] upcoming books [Goff]

> O.K., how about this (hey, you used that one guy's fix for GSo'D!):

After a night's consideration, I don't think I want to put hard and fast
rules to reverse engineering gizmos. We've already established (in S&R) how
difficult it is to "shortcut" by working on another mad scientist's
blueprints (pag 11-12). I'd rather leave this sort of thing in the Marshal's
hands so that Plot Devices (tm) can't be reverse engineered if he doesn't
want them (like Nick--no, not you, the other one <g>--suggested).

In usual circumstances, the mad sees the device, either concocts his own
theory or tears it apart, draws up a blueprint in the standard fashion
(based on hypothesis or actual visual examination), and draws his hand. I
think it probably best to stay with that; it prevents crazed escalation of
mad science. Besides, some devices _don't_ make sense when examined...

As to normal devices, I'd say the appropriate science or trade (engineering,
gunsmithing, etc.) works fine already.

It's not a bad idea--but it would take up a lot of space to explain and
balance. :-)

John