Re: [[DL] Harrowed Powers]

At 10:18 PM 6/22/00, you wrote:
>At 6/22/00 08:49 PM -0400, you wrote:
> >Max Trebilcock <max.trebilcock@virgin.net> wrote:
> >Hi List,
> >Another question, just looked through the Book O The Dead and could see
> >nothing on how 'In Game' a Harrowed would learn new powers.
>
>This one has the easiest reason to develop powers.  There's a manitou in
>there, and another power manifests itself when the manitou wants (after
>the player pays the points of course).
>
>I don't let my players pick their harrowed power.  They can increase the
>ones they have with no problem, but if they want a new one, I pick.  After
>all, the manitou is the source of the power.  I try to give out the powers
>that A) Enhance the survivability of the Harrowed.  B) Allow the manitou
>greater power when it has dominion, or C) If the player is keeping
>dominion too easily, I try and grant powers that tempt the harrowed to
>evil and malicious acts.

It is definatly a style thing, but I do let players pick their powers.

This mainly as I really don't have a problem with Harrowed overpowering
things.  Typically, in my Weird West games, the problem children for that
are Hucksters and Mad Scientists (not that they are unbalanced, only that
they are powerful)

In HoE, Harrowed are pushed waaaaay down.  Doomsayers and Junkers are the
problem children there, and Cyborgs are now right there with them.

course, I have yet to have a Toxic Shaman PC in one of my games.

So what I guess I am saying is I have not had real cause to keep my
Harrowed down.  The rules seem to be written from the perspective of
"Harrowed are the most unbalancing character type" but I have simply not
seen it unless it is paired with an Arcane Background.

TBS