Re: [DL] Question on Army Rank

 >allow me to delurk for a moment.  what do you mean by "parallel nature of
 >officer/enlisted service that exists in the modern military"?  how does one
 >achieve an officer's rank today?

Well - the usual officer is one that either went to a military academy, or
went through ROTC in college, while anyone can sign up for the enlisted
side of the house.

A third option - Officer Candidate School - is available for the enlisted
to be raised to the officer ranks.  And IMnsHO if you are in the service,
you WANT as many officers in your chain of command to be OCS.  They tend to
know how the military works (at least in the enlisted side), unlike the
officers, who may or may not realize that four years of campus life does
not give them a strong knowledge of the military life.
God help you if you get a West Pointer. :-)

But - for my $0.02 on the original question - Dirk, there is enough leeway
and variation involved with the military track during this time that just
about any rank could be justified, barring the highest levels of both
enlisted and officer (1st Sergeant/Colonel and higher).  There was one case
of a brevet Colonel being dropped down to Master Sergeant during the
shrinking of the army following the Civil War.  There just wasn't room
enough in the chain of command for all of those officers in the much
smaller military.

And, there is an almost aristocratic manner to the officers  -  they are
held to a higher standard by the Army, their fellow officers, and their
troops.  While an enlisted soldier will often see their stripes come and
go, (promoted up through merit, demoted for breaking rules), an officer who
engages in such behavior will have a very short career.  Or at least one
that dead ends at, at best, a mid-grade rank.
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Neelix:
Actually, Captain, I'm not really familiar with the chickens in this
system.  But--if you can catch it, I can cook it.