Re: [DL] Army Ranks (modern) (was: Question on Army Rank)

"Heivilin, Jim" wrote:

> For those who don't have access or haven't ever had any exposure to the
> military, here is a rank table.  I'm sure Christopher can adjust it for
> Civil War era ranks.
>
> U.S. Army
>
> Commissioned Officers
> 2nd Lieutenant                  2LT     one gold bar (USN - Ensign)
> 1st Lieutenant                  1LT     one silver bar (USN - Lieutenant,
> Junior Grade)
> Captain                         CPT     two silver bars (USN - Lieutenant)
> Major                                   MAJ     one gold leaf (USN -
> Lieutenant Commander)
> Lieutenant Colonel              LTC     one silver leaf (USN - Commander)
> Colonel                         COL     one silver eagle (USN - Captain)
> Brigadier General                       BG      one silver star (USN - Rear
> Admiral, Lower Half, used to be Commodore)
> Major General                   MG      two silver stars (USN - Rear
> Admiral)
> Lieutenant General              LG      three silver stars (USN - Vice
> Admiral, USMC Commandant of the Marine  Corp)
> General                         Gen     four silver stars (USN - Admiral, no
> USMC)

WRONG! USMC Commandant is a 4 Star General. The USMC is the only service branch
to never have had a 5-Star General, an the only reason we created the 5-Star
rank is so that our commanders were not out ranked by the likes of that ass
Field Marshal Montgomery.

Nick