RE: [DL] Thoughts on Adventures

Some Spoilers

Overall, I like the adventure.  I have to admit a certain amount of
trepidation at making the Ghost a possible recurring villain in the
Deadlands universe.  This is because I think he is a great balance against
Stone -- if not in stats in terms of the hope he brings to the setting.
He's still a part of the horror -- I mean, who wants to think of Honest Abe
running around with a demon in his head.

>   Basically, we want to let the players take as large a part in the
> evolution of the setting as possible, and this seemed the best
> way to do it.

A great idea in theory -- and one I would not try to discourage too much.
However, I know my party will be nowhere near ready for the adventure
anytime soon.  The Ghost would eat them alive.  Also, there is the
difficulty that they won't be in the Maze anytime soon.

If you do want to do this, you might want to have some lower-powered
adventures that could have a minor impact on the world (a mention in one of
the sourcebooks or the like).  For example, Chamberlain's holding the line
at Gettysburg was a relatively small action.  However, the course of the
battle hung on its result.  Give the PCs of beginning parties a chance to
dictate some events as well.

One other problem with the voting approach -- what do you do with players
whose groups succeed but are outvoted.  Eventually, the continuity will be
strained as individual Marshals try to retcon their gaming histories or come
up with excuses why their failure became success (his evil twin, yea....) or
vice-versa (You save the town but, three days after you left, the bandits
came back harrowed....).  So long as you can address that, things should be
fine.

I'd also like to vote for the survival of the Ghost (in case you're
counting).