Re: [DL]A Shameful Confession (was Worst Games) [OT]

> > William Goldman has a clever understanding of the
> > fantasy and swashbuckling genres.
>
> Not to mention the -best- choreographed sword fight
> I've seen in a long time!
>
> Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Maggie Jensen

I'm sorry, but I just can't keep quiet when I hear this one.

The swordfight in The Princess Bride is very, very sad. I used to like it as
well, when I first saw the movie and before I took up fencing I thought it
was a well staged fight. Then, about 6 years ago, I took up fencing. I fence
foil and sabre and have become (I like to think) fairly proficient in the
past six years.

Going back and watching the Princess Bride swordfight when you have even a
basic understanding of the principles of fencing is an extremely painful
experience. The two fencers, who are supposedly the best in the world (this
doesn't come across in the movie admittedly, but does in the book) show not
even minimal understanding of good posture or reach, can't throw a straight
thrust to save themselves, and exhibit extremely bad form that looks good in
the flicks but would never be used in a real swordfight.

I know, I know - Shut up Brian, it's a movie.

Brian "Can't turn off my inner pedant, even for one of my favourite movies"
Leybourne.

.-->
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there.
Type in 'Find people who have sex with goats that are on fire' and the
computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Brian Leybourne
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
bleybourne@hotmail.com
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.