Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000725-3

> >> 5d12 + 4 quickness has to wait for the Shaman with 1d4 quickness to
> >> go first, due to a lousy card draw.
> >
> >That would be me.  In our last session I got two cards with my 2d4
> >Quickness and they were the red joker and an ace.  ...
>
> Sorry this is a bit delayed but I've got to ask this.  Why on earth
> would you put 2D4 on Quickness?  It's almost suicidal, unless of
> course it's your first character and you are unfamiliar with the game.

Well, it was my first (and still only) character, and it was my first
hour of exposure to the game, but I would probably still lay out the
character cards the same way.  Face it -- a shaman can't crank out a
lot of favors per round no matter how many actions he has.  And if
he piles up fighting abilities, he (a) isn't going to stay in
character and (b) isn't going to really cook in the spiritual realm.

To illustrate the latter, let me do a little Tale Tellin'.

After a disappointing encounter in the City of Lost Angels, the posse
set out to catch a train in hot pursuit of Stone, believed en route
to Devil's Tower.  My character, prevented by an Old Ways oath from
riding trains, took his leave at a portal we'd found previously.  I
asked the friendly spirits to Cleanse (the region of the) Portal to
minimize distractions, entered the Hunting Grounds, and sat to do a
good long 12 hour sand painting for an Open Portal favor.  2d10 of
Area Knowledge: Hunting Grounds and not trying to go anywhere kept
the encounters during that time down to a few ancestor spirits who
did not disturb my character.  (It also kept the elapsed "outside
world" time down to mere minutes.)

With the O.W. oath and a Spirit trait level of 4, but a d4 Deftness
(since raised to d6) I rolled 7d4+6 for a 13 total agains TN 5, used
a red chip to put another die on top for 15, doubled to 30 because I
was in the Hunting Grounds, and this was as good as 60 since the
VisionSeeking way was favored medicine.  That led to a portal open
very close indeed to my intended destination.

The only downsides were almost breaking my nose on the side of
Devil's Tower when I stepped through, and having to wait a week for
the rest of the posse.  (That time was put to use establishing
relations with the wise oriental gentleman in the vicinity ...)

Always watch out for the shaman who doesn't seem to be fighting.

                                Netse Ôhtsevehâtse