[DL] Merwin-Hulbert revolvers

ince there is a couple of firearm threads running lately, I thought I'd
mention this:

Despite Law Dogs' brief coverage, Merwin-Hulbert was apparently the
fourth-largest handgun maker (disributed largely through another company, I
forget the name offhand), whose unique loading mechanism (something akin to
a S&W quick-eject, except that it only ejected spent shells, leaving
unfired ones in the cylinder)...  In any event, the first run of the
pistols came into business around 1873, so they're timely as well.  I am
seriously considering ordering a book on the manufacturer and the various
models (except that it costs a mint, and I don't know that I'm that much of
a geek as of yet), but I have a few images of popular models and variations
available for whoever wants them (email me, as always).

Also, here (following) is a brief summary of the M&Hs, taken from the
website that promotes the abovementioned book (I don't remember the URL,
and it's on my other computer.  I'll dig it up if anyone really wants it).
I happen to think they're awfully nice-looking, and were apparently just
about the best-made handguns available.

In fact, the estimable Maripose Kid uses one, so you know they must be
fine!  <g>

"Merwin Hulbert was a major manufacturer of quality revolvers during the
1870's and 1880's.  Gun
 writer and black powder cartridge expert Mike Venturino states that "no
revolver ever made
 exhibits more craftsmanship and precision machine work in its
manufacture."  During the
 late 1800's the Merwin company was certainly among the top four large
frame revolver makers in
 the U.S., the others being Colt, S&W, and Remington. Most casual observers
suppose that Colt
 was the leading manufacturer of large frame cartridge revolvers in the
1800's, and may be aware
 that Remington and S&W made revolvers then, and few are aware of Merwin.
However if you look
 at factory production, you'll find that S&W actually made more large frame
cartridge revolvers than
 Colt during the 1800's, and, based on the frequency of surviving examples
encountered, I often
 wonder if Merwin didn't produce more than Remington!
 The Merwin design is unique and required extremely precise machining and
hand fitting.  The twist
 open design allows for selective, simultaneous ejection of empty cases
while leaving loaded
 rounds in the cylinder.  To open a Merwin Hulbert, the gun is held in the
right hand with fingers
 of left hand wrapping around top of the barrel,.  The left thumb pushes
the button on the front
 bottom of the frame backwards towards the trigger guard.  The barrel is
then twisted towards the
 left, (which would be clockwise as viewed from the rear of the gun) and
pulled forward.  This allows
 ejection of empties.  If disassembly is desired at this point, the button
on left side of barrel is
 pushed in and barrel and cylinder slide forward off of the frame.
 One feature unique to Merwin design and evidence of the remarkable
machining, which is highly
 prized by collectors, is "suction."  On particularly nice examples of
Merwins you will find that when
 you have gun open and barrel pulled  forward, if you release the barrel,
the barrel and cylinder will
 pull backwards towards frame as if spring loaded.  No springs are
involved; it is simply that the
 close machining of the parts creates a suction which tends to pull the gun
back together.
 Merwin Model terminology can be a bit confusing at first.  We will try to
sort it out here:
 "Frontier" Models are large frame square butt Models.
 "Pocket Army" Models have a birds head grip which comes to a
"skullcrusher" type point on the
 bottom with a large lanyard ring hole drilled through the point.  Many of
the Pocket Army Models
 have shorter 3 ½" barrels, although they were also made with the long 7"
barrel, most commonly
 encountered on Frontier Models.  Both Frontier and Pocket Army Models can
be found in single
 action or double action configuration.
 The evolution of  large frame Merwin revolvers went through 4 distinct
phases which are called,
 First through Fourth Models, by collectors.  The First and Second Models
were made in single
 action configuration only, and are quickly identified by an open top (no
top strap extending from
 the rear of barrel to frame) and "scoop flutes" on cylinder.  First and
Second Models are very
 similar - quickest way to tell them apart is to notice there are two small
screws going into the First
 Model frame above trigger guard where as only one screw there on Second
Model.  First Models
 were made in Frontier configuration only, while Second Models were made in
both Pocket Army
 and Frontier configuration.
 The Third Model added a top strap from the rear of barrel to frame above
hammer, providing an
 additional locking point for additional strength.  Also the flutes of
cylinder were changed from
 scoop flutes to standard type fluting we're familiar with on most
revolvers today.  Third Model was
 the first to be offered in both Single Action and Double Action types and
again was offered in
 both Pocket Army and Frontier style.  The Fourth Model is probably the
most scarce - it's nearly
 identical to Third Model, but with a rib added to the barrel, (the barrel
is round on all the other
 three Models.)
 The large frame Merwins were offered in three chamberings - 44 Merwin
Hulbert,  44-40 (the most
 common chambering, designated by the marking "Calibre Winchester 1873"),
and 44 Russian.
   The Merwin collector has to be careful, in that many Spanish copies from
the same era are
 found.  Some of these are of good quality while others are lesser guns.
An original Merwin will
 usually have both Merwin Hulbert company markings and Hopkins & Allen
(although the Merwin
 guns were made to a consistently higher standard than the H&A guns.) The
foreign copies, while
 interesting and colorful, were worth less than U.S. made Merwins, and may
have the words Merwin
 Hulbert appearing in their markings.
 Merwin also made SA and DA small frame revolvers, in two frame sizes
chambered for 32 and 38
 cartridges; along with a tip up 22 spur trigger resembling the S&W Model
One.
 Given the quality and historical interest of these revolvers, regretably
little has been published on
 them.  The single best reference is Art Phelps book, The Story of Merwin
Hulbert and Co.
 Firearms.  This definitive reference can be ordered from the author at PO
BOX 672, Rough and
 Ready, California, 95975.  It could also be ordered through Amazon.com or
a major book store.
 Merwin collectors hungry for additional info can rejoice - 2 articles have
recently been published.
 Mike Venturino's article "The Merwin and Hulbert 44's" appears in the
August 9, 1999 issue of
 Shotgun News.  "The Merwin Hulbert Army Revolver and it's 44 MH & Co.
Cartridge" by Robert
 John Rayzak appears in the July/August 1999 issue of Man at Arms.  It
includes an interesting
 discussion of whether or not the selective ejection system worked as
advertised, and info on the
 rare 44 MH cartridge."