Re: [DL] Lost Edges

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:21:21 -0700, deadlands@gamerz.net wrote:

>  >    my question is should the character be able to find
>  > another animal companion (he did pay the points
>  > initial) or should he have to gain the edge again?
>  > Let me know what you guys think.

I think this all ties in with the nature of edges themselves.  You can have
the critter companion edge and not have a companion.  You merely have the
possibility of haveing and maintaining a critter companion.

The same follows for sidekicks...you can have the edge for years and never
pick up an actual sidekick.  The marshal could use it as a continueing plot
device until such time as the player chooses to obtain a sidekick.  Maybe
the lone ranger doesn't really need tonto yet.  He can sit on his silver
bullets and ride his horse alone until he at long last needs the services of
a permenant indian guide.

In game terms I would do this...

Treat the character as haveing a +2 to his animal wranglein', horse ridin'
or teamster skills.  Whatever you prefer until such time as he goes out and
makes a concerted attempt to bond with another animal.  Maybe the kid in the
next town has a litter of puppies, or a stray bedraggled kitten is being
harassed by wormlings.  Really play up the helpless animal thing but make
sure the animal has spirit, nobody wants scooby-doo for an animal
companion....(middle of a fire fight and hes under the mystery mobile
chomping scooby snacks.)

Ron "Wildman" Conner

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html