Re: [DL] Questions on Deadlands Metaphysic (Goff) (spoilers)

> > I have noted that in Deadlands, two trends for powers exist:
> >

>Fair enough.
>
> > Column A "Dark"  Hucksters, Mad Scientists, Black Magicians, Harrowed,
> > Abominations (in HoE Witches) ect.
> >
> > Column B "Spiritual" Blessed, Shamans, Voodooists, Anhuaks,  (in HoE
> > Doomsayers, Templars, Junkers) ect.
> >
> > since those heady days, a new column C has formed, of Miscellaneous:
> > Sykers, Martial Artists, Knacks.
> >
> > The question is, how do I classify them...here is why I ask:
> >

>Good split, but here's how I've always seen them:
>
>Column A: "Friendly" or "good" powers grant the spells/favors/miracles in
>exchange for appeasement/
>behavior/sacrifice/etc. The good contact on the other side largely protects
>the practitioner from the worst of the effects and strengthens the potency
>of the magic. This encompasses Blessed, Shamans (including Anhuacs),
>Voodooists, Templars, and Doomsayers.
>
>Column B: Gain powers either by consorting with the dark forces (peaceably,
>forcibly, or unconsciously) or directly contacting the Hunting Grounds
>themselves. This makes the character more susceptible to negative effects
>and makes the magic produced slightly less perfect (IOW, more easily
>dispelled). In this group you get Hucksters, Mads (including Junkers),
>Martial Artists, Black Magicians, Witches, and Sykers.

Ok, so Mimic would work on Martial Arts, Knacks, Sykers, and even
Junkers.  what about Toxic Shamans?

Born on Christmas Day would block all those powers

Forsaken would not block Martial Arts, Sykers, or even Junkers (or Toxics
if that is how you rule it)

am I correct?

>Now, unfortunately, anti-magic powers and effects don't always divide along
>these columns (For instance, Voodooists are usually susceptible to the same
>effects that Hucksters are) but I try to keep them along these lines.If you
>have doubts (and the books don't contradict it specifically) you're probably
>pretty safe working those divisions.
>
>By the way, Voodooists are subject to the effects because they are sort of
>line-crossers themselves; their magic calls on both spirits (rada loa) and
>manitou (petro loa) for effect.

makes sense

>John

TBS