Re: [DL] Universities and Mad Science

--- "Derek D. Bass" <wangenstein@mad.scientist.com>
wrote:
> My point in asking is... hang on...
>
> SPOILERS, so all Posse members, git!
>
> Now then, my point in asking is, I'm writing a
> little adventure hook that
> involves a scientist who (IRL) became famous for his
> equations and theories
> just -after- the time of the Reckoning. In this
> piece, he becomes
> discredited because every theory he puts forth can
> be disproven by one of
> the new American (MS) machines. He ends up traveling
> to America to promote
> his theories (which he -knows- should be right) but
> encounters a great deal
> of resistance from the new intelligencia, who can
> prove him wrong with one
> of their gizmos.
>
> His frustration, depression and resentment of
> MS-types grow and grow, until
> finally the Reckoners take notice. Soon after,
> MS-types (and other
> academics/scientists who annoy him) start turning up
> dead when he's in town,
> roasted to a crisp while nearby, an object is frozen
> beyond freezing. The
> scientist? James Clerk Maxwell. The cause of the
> deaths? Maxwell's Demon. A
> Manitou has become the embodiment of one of
> Maxwell's theories, a theory
> that states (in essence) that it is statistically
> possible for heat to flow
> from cold to hot. The Manitou is killing people by
> pulling the heat from a
> nearby object, bringing its temperature down close
> to absolute zero. It uses
> the surprisingly large amount of heat that results
> to kill its victim. If
> there are two victims, it can pull the heat from one
> to use on the other,
> killing both. Cute, huh?
>
> I've still got a couple details to work out, but I
> wanted to confirm some of
> my assumptions about academic opinion of Mad
> Science. I think I've done just
> that. Thanks!

It sounds like Mad Scientists would support such a
theory, while real scientists would assume it is bunk.
 If anything it would be the real scientists giving
him flak.

On a similar vein, has anyone had their Mads make up
completely unrealistic theories, ie heat is the
absence of cold particles, or light is the absense of
darkness?

I could picture someone making a cold thrower or dark
latern using this philosophy.

-Munch Wolf