Re: [DL] Universities and Mad Science

Just to add my two cents to Allan's discussion on Mad Science and
universities -- I think he's right about the money aspect, academic
scientists are driven by grant money, so if there is large federal funding in
Mad Science, many, even those that don't know anything about it, might twist
their research programs to embrace it (it's a little anachronistic projecting
too much academic grant-grubbing back into the 19th century, but it is more
fun).  If Mad Science funding is coming through the USA/CSA governments, then
I suggest that much of the research would be going on at Land Grant Colleges,
established by Congress in 1863 (and we assume in the DL timeline, the CSA
would establish something similar because Land Grant Colleges were successful
and popular). Land Grant Colleges were intended to provide research and
instruction in areas that were most useful to the American public, i.e.
agriculture and the mechanical arts. Surely research on ghost rock and
building new gizmos would fall under the definition of useful to the American
public (certainly to the American militaries)! Another interesting area of
conflict is that scientists and researchers at Land Grant Colleges were
looked down on by their colleagues at older colleges (i.e. Harvard or Yale).
You can still see that today if you attended a "State" college and hear it
referred to as a Cow College. Might be interesting to see how long those
bluebloods would keep up that Cow College crap after a couple of ghost-rock
powered automatons plowed through the alumni section at the Homecoming Game.
Just another hilarious prank from the boys in Ghost Rock 101 at the local
State College.

Clay