Re: [DL] Universities and Mad Science

In a message dated 8/18/00 6:08:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgwyn@colba.net
writes:

<< G'Day all,
     You know for an American dominated list-serv, no one has suggested an
 obvious source of funding for Universities regarding Mad Scientists, namely
 good ol' capitalism.  In the context of the Great Rail Wars, I would have
 thought, that the railroad companies (and their suppliers) would be banging
 on the doors of chemistry and engineering departments looking for answers
 and expertise.  "Yep, I am proud to announce the creation of the Union Blue
 school of Para-natural engineering here at Yale." ("Academic independence?
 What's that?")

     I think it's pretty much assumed that mad science gets heavy support
from the private sector. There's just so much money to be made in it! Mad
Science in the Weird West is a lot like the internet boom of modern times.
You can strike it rich either by signing on with big corporate/government
groups or by single-handedly inventing the Next Big Thing in your garage.
Free markets + the subconscious whisperings of evil manitou = big profits for
everyone!

     One question:  Is ghost rock strictly necessary for a mad science device
 to work or could a mad scientist invent some widget that doesn't need G.R.
 to work thus avoiding having his hands turn black? >>

     It depends on what you want to make. Building something energy-intensive
like an automaton or jet pack without a GR fuel source is going to be very
tough, but a scientist who specializes in devices like armed hang-gliders or
improved gatling guns might never have to touch a pebble of that accursed
coal.

                                ---Ghoull
Visit RS&L Today!
We've got incisive social commentary, up-to-date political analysis, and
pictures of Mr T. What more could you want?
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jukebox