Re: [DL] Hexslingers and focus-dependent

In a message dated 8/22/00 6:33:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fish@glinx.com
writes:

<< 1. Okay guys, where in Law Dogs does it mention penalties? >>

    It doesn't mention anything about the penalties in LD. They're covered
under the description of focus-depending in HUCKSTERS & HEXES, IIRC.

<< 2. Steven Long, so hexslingers do need to have a gun to use *gun-related*
 hexes? I'm afraid that is not stated in Law Dogs. Please point me to the
 relevant page if it is. >>

    I didn't state it because I assumed it was obvious that when you write a
hex that increases gun damage, you have to have a gun to use it on. The gun
doesn't have to be a focus, but it does have to be present. Theoretically, I
suppose, a hexslinger could cast the hex on *someone else's* gun, but I
imagine that occurs very rarely (if at all), and even in that case a gun is
still necessary for the hex to function.
    Perhaps we are tripping ourselves up on the definition of "has to have" a
gun.  I'm not saying that a hexslinger can't cast hexes if he doesn't have a
shootin' iron strapped to his person. That would be ridiculous (esp. since
some hexslinger hexes don't affect guns). But when a hex involves making a
gun do more damage, or something of the sort, the hexslinger "has to have" a
gun *to cast the hex on* or the hex is useless -- in much the same way that a
cultist can't cast a Zombie spell without a corpse to cast it on.

Steve Long