Re: [DL] Are We Doing It Correctly?

on 8/23/00 2:20 AM, Seanchai at Seanchai@compuserve.com wrote:

    Hey, Seanchai. Small internet, isn't it? Seanchai's a veteran of the
Great 3rd Edition Wars on the DND-List, so be polite, everybody.

> We're new to Deadlands and after a recent combat are a bit concerned.

(snip problem description)

> Does that sound right? It seems quite...extreme.

    Well, extreme *is* what Deadlands is all about...but yeah, it happens.
Just out of curiousity, were you seeing this guy as an abomination or an
actual manitou made flesh? Personally, I'd say manitou aren't subject to
wind damage, but I'm a bastard like that.
    I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I'd just started a
new campaign and I made sure the players didn't have any arcane backgrounds.
Trying to get the spooky back into the game, y'know? Overall, the adventure
went well, but in the final scene the posse are standing in the pouring rain
in front of the burning sheriffs office watching my carefully prepared
harrowed villain torch the town, accompanied by spooky thunder effects. He
rides up to them and pulls the bandana off his face, revealing the bigass
bullet hole where his nose used to be (I made sure to tell the posse that
they could see the burning building behind him through his head). He makes
some suitable ominous remarks, the posse notices that the riders behind him
are the two bank robbers they'd shot earlier in the day, and it's Quickness
check time (for the folks who made their guts checks)!
    ...the ratbastard gunfighter and the gambler get 2 aces and a king
between them. *My* highest card's an 8. 6 shots later, (frikken'
double-actions!) my bad guy's on his back in the rain and the posse's duking
it out with the walking dead help. *That* took them 3 rounds to finish. Kind
of a let-down, for me anyway.
    Sometimes the rolls just happen that way...
    As far as Wind damage, we've stopped doing wind as an openended roll. a
few too many unlucky folks getting taken out by hits that didn't do any
actual wound levels, but winded them out of the fight...

-- joe crow

    -everything i need to know about life i learned by killing smart people
and eating their brains-