From: Seanchai [mailto:Seanchai@compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 11:36 PM
To: 'INTERNET:deadlands@gamerz.net'
Subject: RE: [DL] Are We Doing It Correctly?

>>Sounds like either your NPC wasn't quite as powerful as you thought in
relation to the posse (harrowed powers aren't always a guarantee of
success, trust me on this *g*)<<

   We'd played about five sessions and I'd give out about one of each color
chip per session. That's about the average anyway. There are only two PCs.
This is (was) the big bad guy:

Michael

Corporeal: D: 3d6, N: 3d6, S: 3d6, Q: 4d12, V: 4d8
Shootin': Pistol 5d6, Fightin' 5d6,
Mental: C: 4d8, K: 4d8, M: 4d12, Sm: 4d8, Sp: 3d20
Scrutinize 5d8 (+2), Search 5d8 (+2), Disguise 5d8, Overawe 7d12,
Performin' 5d12, Persuasion 5d12, Bluff 7d8, Ridicule 5d8, Hexslingin' 6d*
Edges: Keen (+2 to perception), Level-Headed (drop lowest Action Card)
Hindrances: Big Britches (overconfident), Oath
Pace: 6
Size: 6
Wind: 28
Special Abilities:
  Armor of Fear: Michael has armor against physical attacks on his Noggin',

    Upper Gizzard, Lower Gizzard, and Guts equal to the Fear Level of the
area
    he currently occupies. He has armor over his Arms and Legs equal to
half of
    the Fear Level of the area he currently occupies. [Fear level was 3.]
  Call Abomination: This ability allows Michael to sow the seeds of fear
which
    become abominations. It takes him one hour to prepare a seed and one
day
    for it to mature into creature.
  Hex Use: Michael can use any hex without having to contact and bargain
with a
    Manitou. He makes a Hexslingin' roll as normal, but cannot suffer from
    backlash.
  Mist Form: Michael can spend an action to become any volume of mist or
fog.
    He can still hear, see, and speak in this form, but he cannot use any
of this
    other special abilities.
  Open Portal: Michael can spend an action to open a portal to the Hunting
    Grounds in an area which has a Fear Level.
Gear:
  stylish clothing. He has dark hair and eyes, and pale skin. In this form,
he is
  suave and calm. When he takes more than three wounds in any location,
  Michael's human form disappears in a burst of spirit-laden smoke and his
true
  form is reveal: He is a spindly, pale creature with large skeletal hands
and feet.
  If forced to change, Michael becomes furious and tries to destroy
whatever
  instigated his transformation. He can reform his human appearance by
  becoming a mist and then reverting back to normal.

>>or he just succumbed to really good dice rolls.<<

   Didn't seem like especially good ones. Although this was the first time
we'd use open-ended rolls for damage.

>>That way if your villain has a more than decent vigor, he shouldn't have
any problems recovering from any pain and suffering the heroes decide to
inflict on him.<<

   He's got decent Vigor. What I think did him in was the Stun checks. Once
he started collecting wounds, he just couldn't make them with the wound
penalties. If he was stunned, he couldn't do much else but become
"unstunned," right?

>>Also, that's why the Marshal gets Fate Chips: to negate wound levels in
your villains ;-)<<

   I had used them all up.

         Seanchai

"Civilization is a movement and not a condition, a voyage and not a
harbor." - Arnold Toynbee