RE: [DL] Adaptable Marshals (was: Are We Doing It Correctly?

>A lot of people, all Marshals I don't doubt, have made remarks like
>the one above.  That's one thing I sure didn't like when I started
>playing DL, after literally decades away from RPGs -- heavy-handed
>predestination.

Please note that this is not *necessarily* a deadlands characteristic!

>Marshalls, be adaptable!  Have a backup plan!  Think on your feet --
>that's what the posse is doing!

That's why I don't plan.  I have a VERY broad outline of what *should* get
done, but tend to wing it from there.  Posses, as a lot, are *totally*
unpredictable, so there is no point in trying to plan for every contingency.

It's fun for me (as a Marshal) to take something a player says and run with
it...
For example, I have on player who is ALWAYS wrong about clues, but he is
very persuasive to other players.  It's a hoot to let HIM create a red
herring for the party to chase and keep building upon it, until I drop it
like a rock!

However, if you do wing it, take notes, so that you remain consistent from
session to session...

Patrick