Re: [DL] PEG Internal Art (Goff)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:57:15 +0100, deadlands@gamerz.net wrote:

>  [OK,OK so my secret's out, while on holiday I visited some art
>  galleries and soaked up some culture - so maybe some of it has rubbed
>  off on me and I'm noticing these things more.]
>
>  I don't know if there is any way to say this politely, but am I the
>  only one to think that the art within Hexarcana sucked big time.  I
>  will clarify this a bit by saying that, I am not meaning the full
>  splash pages at the end of each chapter, but the smaller art
>  throughout the book.  Some was better than others, but the style of
>  art tends towards the thick rough sketching, with little or no detail
>  ("look I can draw in crayon"), and looks to have taken at most 5
>  minutes to complete!
>
>  OK, maybe that's a bit excessive, but there are some particularly bad
>  pictures within Hexarcana.  I don't know if in a effort to get the
>  book out on time PEG needed the stuff done in a hurry, or what; it
>  just looks to be poor and in my opinion lets down the text pretty
>  shamefully (does that sound as if I'm being too grovelly to Mr Goff?).
>  The art just makes me want to turn the page to get rid of it rather
>  than complete the text on the page.  Maybe I shouldn't knock the
>  artist that, for all I dislike his art, can draw a heck of a lot
>  better than me (unless of course the stick man image is the one PEG
>  want to use - in which case I'm willing to discuss all possible
>  contracts).
>
>  The last Deadlands product I can remember being impressed with the art
>  was Dommtown or Bust (didn't like the cover much - but that was just
>  the subject rather than the style :-) ).  Maybe this required more
>  detailed art to convey NPC features and locations, but I was surprised
>  by the high quality (not that I was expecting a lower quality from
>  PEG, but in general the art here I felt was of a higher quality than
>  most of the RPG supplements that I own)

Most of the Artwork was taken from the Doomtown cards themselves...except
for the cover which was a work by rk post that origonally appeared on the
cover of scrye.  So all of the little pictures there were actually full
sized pices of art that were resized for the cards and then transfered to
black and white in the book.  Which is nice but the whole thing makes the
rest of the books look pale.  I like most of the art in PEG books.  some
looks like crap a 2 year old could have done with finger paints.  I don't
judge.  I just enjoy what I can.  if You look at the new rangewars disks
most of it is artwork from peg books that has been colorized.  It looks cool
that way and I enjoy it.  It helps with my minis painting.

As for the Hexarcana stuff.....I'll leave that to the posts already here.

Ron Conner

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html