Re: [DL] DL] PEG Cover Art (Goff)

>To me the recent Deadland supplement covers are a bit dull, by that
>I mean that I find them static and uninteresting, Hexarcana (which of
>course has prompted this) is the most recent case.  I have noticed a
>marked change in the covers of late, with the atmosphere set by the
>cover for the game changing from the grim, stark foreboding nature of
>the Book of the Dead or Law Dogs covers to the Back East: North (don't
>have South), Hexarcana etc.  I'm not sure if it is a particular
>artists style that I don't like (I haven't checked to see if they are
>the same person) however I feel that they fail to grasp the horror and
>western genre of the Weird West.  I initially thought it was the
>artists use of brighter colour in the cover, however Law Dog's used
>bright red/orange to good effect, and the cover to RVCII was dark, and
>yet lacked the foreboding atmospheric element to some degree.
>Probably the exception to this is the Agency cover, which I would rate
>highly, I like the set up of the picture (subject, angle etc) yet even
>as I think back it lacks some sense of feeling.
OK, my commentary.
Note that I am not exactly a qualified Art critic...

I liked Ghostbusters, Agency, and Hexarcana covers.  A LOT.  RVC II had a
fairly good cover to my mind, if not quite these previous 3.  I will
confess not being overly fond of Canyon o' Dooms.  I think this was more my
taste about what they chose to snapshot.  I liked the subject Matter but
not the style of Back East very much.  South o' the Border was OK but not
outstanding.   Bloody ol' Muddy was cartoony.

You may not like "Book title on top, Deadlands Genre on Bottom" style.
You may not like that most of the covers are not excessively Western.
I would have to disagree about Horror.  I thought Hexarcana's Cover was
positively Cthonian in its own way, and even reminded me of my old Keeper's
companion.  BE:N+Ss' both have somewhat disturbing subject matter.  RVC IIs
was fairly dark as well.  The Agency is not, but does not need to be (it is
more western, tho)

>It was just as I was looking at Hexarcana's cover, it all of a sudden
>dawned on me that the cover would probably put me off the book, if I
>was browsing through my local store (just as well I now mail order)
>rather than drawing me to it.  It then struck me that the cover was
>not in the league of earlier covers and seemed even to present a
>different "Deadlands" that wasn't as dark and nasty as the original
>game and I was wondering if this was the intent of PEG, or if it was
>just the artists personal style.

I'd perk up and notice, if for no other reason then the Cthonian feel.

>Knowing nothing about art, I've struggled a bit to say what I mean,
>but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

I don't like the title over genre. cover style.  My opinion.  I feel the
covers got less exciting there.  I would not say they are not as good, only
that that is my opinion.
I like the less western feel, tho I would not have them abandon it, but
then, I am a student of Victoriana, if less so then the Roaring 20s.

>Roy

TBS