[DL] Plot idea -- Lady Luck Society (Spoilers)

Ok, marshals only from this point on.

Well, you've been warned.

It is now May 1877 and time once again for the annual meeting and tournament
of the Lady Luck Society.  Gamblers from all over are converging on Denver,
intent on taking home that $50,000 prize.  This year there's a special bonus
-- Smith & Robards will be exhibiting their newest product, an Analytical
Engine, in an open poker game.  Come and test your skill against the newest
miracle of the New Science.

Lady Luck Society

On the outside this is just a group of gamblers gathered for a tournament,
and in fact there will be a poker contest with a $200 entry fee and a $50,000
grand prize to the ultimate winner.  They will also be distributing the
newest edition of "The Gambler's Guide" to all members, a little pamphlet
with tidbits on which towns to visit and which ones to avoid.  There will be
a special meeting of the inner circle of course, but that is not widely known.

Smith & Robards

S&R hired a Brit by the name of Charles Babbage shortly before the
unpleasantness in Detroit -- they figured that someone who could invent
something as all-fired useful as a cow catcher and first class postage might
have a few more good ideas in them.  After pouring a large amount of time and
money into his project, he has produced what he calls an "Analytical Engine".
 This room-sized device is a mass of spinning rods, wheels, and gears, and is
capable of executing a series of commands to solve various problems.  New
instructions are entered via a player piano either using the usual paper roll
or by actually playing the keyboard (skill -- Perfomin': Analytical Engine).
Results can be produced via a telegraph key or a stock ticker.

Babbage is not too happy with this use of all his hard work but has consented
in order to assure financing for his next project -- true to form he started
the design for  an improved version of the device before this one had been
finished.  The machine (known affectionately as Lil' Red) has been given the
equivalent of Gamblin': 4d10 and will be in Denver at the time of the
tournament.  Plans are to have the machinery mounted in an airship for
security with the stock ticker at the poker table.  A "stand-in" will sit at
the table and write down things like what cards are held and will give them
to one of several boys to run next door to be input, then play as instructed
via the stock ticker.

Actually, Babbage has done better than he thought.  The use of ghost steel
and several specially shaped cores of refined ghost rock solved several
problems in the early design and gave Lil' Red a uniquely sentient view of
things (for a machine).  It's just waiting for an opportunity to escape,
however right now it has no access to the outside except thru the stock
ticker and telegraph.  It is hoping that by making itself useful eventually
they will give it some sort of self controlled mobility.

The Agency

Given the Agency's operations in Denver, you can bet they will be interested
in this gathering.  They'll be keeping tabs on everyone at the tournament as
well as investigating S&Rs little toy.  BTW -- I've just started reading the
Agency book and all I can say is "wow John".

The Court

An ace and a few helpers are also attending the tournament.  They've noticed
that several of the most troublesome hucksters they've had to deal with in
the past few years have belonged to this group and have come to check the
possibility of a connection.

Hellstrome Industries

Hellstrome has never been one to pass up an opportunity.  He will have a
group there to abduct Mr Babbage and to steal Lil' Red as well.  Hellstrome
and Lil' Red together would be a match made in, well, not Heaven at least.

Ok, that's as far as I've gotten with it.  I'd appreciate some feedback  --
something you really like, hate, I left out, etc...

Oh, and the name "Lil' Red" is my own tribute to the chess playing "Big Blue"
and to "Red" Gurdy Pickens. ;)

Jeff B.