Re: [DL] Law Dogs Stuff

In a message dated 9/1/00 11:27:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
banzai@missouri.edu writes:

<< > Also cheek out the John Wayne, Kurt Douglas Movie "War
 > Wagon", Kurt Doulglas wears a padded glove on his left hand,
 > that he used to fan the hammer.

 Hollywood is probably not the most reliable of sources for western lore.  >>

    I definitely agree, from a factual standpoint. ;)
    However, from a gaming standpoint, one could argue that the way Hollywood
shapes and presents the genre is just as important, if not more so, than
actual history. After all, compared to some of the dramatic stuff seen in
movies, sometimes real life -- even in the Wild West -- can be just plain
boring. :)
    By and large, I think DL players' expectations of the western genre are
shaped by Hollywood more than just about anything else except perhaps the
game books themselves (and those books owe a major debt to Hollywood as well).
    So, while it should be followed with just the sort of caveat Jim used, a
reference to how a movie shows things probably isn't off-base for DL
purposes. :)

Steve Long