Re: [DL] Pinnacle sold... (now with On-Topic Additive)

In a message dated 9/15/00 11:18:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
chris2@pre-press.com writes:

<< Now, here's my question:  Would this hurt the industry?  Like it hurt the
computer industry?

In my opinion, maybe not.  The internet being what it is, and with the huge
wealth of fan-spawned information available, quality writing might still be
available.  The only difference being, it wouldn't be hardbound with
full-color artwork. >>

    I don't necessarily think so.  As you point out, in slightly different
terms, the barriers to entry into publishing an RPG these days are pretty
low. You can slap something up on a website and give it away for free to show
people how cool your work is, or if you want to get into "hardcopy"
publishing, you can create D20 products under the Open Gaming License and tap
into WOTC's enormous network of players/fans without having to pay any fees,
use Lightning Print to avoid high printing and warehousing costs, and learn
to use professional-quality DTP software without much effort.
    The gaming industry has always been, and to a certain extent always will
be, the creation of small companies working out of their garages and
basements. Pretty much every company, including TSR, got started that way,
and plenty of companies to come will start that way, too.

Steve Long