Re: [DL] Three Musketeers ( massively OT)

>     The 1948 one had a little too much Gene Kelly footwork for my taste, but
> then that's neither here nor there.

Aw, c'mon. You *have* to admit it was pretty cool watching him slit that
guy's breeches.

>A very entertaining modern version of the
> whole musketeer stories (IMHO) was the French "La Fille D'Artangnan" also
released
> on video with English subtitles as "the Revenge of the Musketeers".  (Then
> again, I am fluent in French.)

Well, IMNSHO, it blew massive chunks. I'm also fluent in French, and that
didn't make it any more tolerable. I'm sorry, but whatsername was terrible
in it, and none of the supporting actors could save what turned out to be a
mediocre movie at best.

> Other 3 Musketteer movies:
> -The 4 Musketeers (okay) and
> -the Return of the Musketeers (not okay) (both featuring the same
> cast as the 1973 version.)

I just have to point out that Michael York rocks. JM2C.

> -At Sword's Point (mid 50's)  notable for a female musketeer (good)
> -Man in the Iron Mask (with Richard Chamberlain, 1970s, low musketeer
> content)  (low key, but lovely to look at)
> -Man in the Iron Mask (1990s with high musketeer content, but excess
> Hollywood in the form of Leo, but excellent casting of Depardieu as Porthos)

Haven't seen those.
> The original novel(s) by Dumas show clear signs of padding (common to
> serialized works in the 19th Cent) and are thus a bit disappointing by 20th
> Century standards.

Not only that, but the level is kind of simple. It's the kind of book you
ought to read when you're about ten. Afterward the magic doesn't work at
all.

Daphné "Tried to read it too late" Brunelle
--
"What's your plan?"
"Plan?  I've got to have a plan?  I can't just be like, proactive