Re: [DL] Combined format?

In a message dated 9/24/00 2:00:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
baron11@netmcr.com writes:

<< Our HoE Marshal (the one other then me), however, only buys HoE books.  he
 is on a budget, too.  I guarantee he will not buy any of those books.  Not
 worth it to him.

 I have a player that gets most of the weird west books.  he has only 1 HoE
 and I can about guarantee he will not be buying the crossover books either.

 Thus, I can almost guarantee sales will drop.  Our group will buy
 fewer.  People did not buy Epitaphs cuz a good number play only one
 game.  Some cross pollination will occur, but I think you have taken the
 lesson of the Epitaphs the wrong way. >>

I'd have to agree with the Baron here. Most of the people I know who play
Deadlands enjoy buying the sourcebooks for the game that they play. For the
most part, The Wierd West, in my experience, has been the more popular of the
lines, and I know people with several shelves on their bookcases dedicated to
all the WW stuff they can get their hands on, but you won't find a HOE book
among them. Personally, I like both lines, I think it's pretty original to
have the events in one world tie in with the other, and I think HOE is a good
concept.  I like post-apocalypse stuff and, well, for the opinion brought up
earlier that it's too "Macho", in the post-apoc world it's basically survival
of the fittest, so take that as you will. If the fittest are macho, so be it.

With all of that said, most of the people I know that play Deadlands would
probably not be too interested in buying a combined-format book. I like all
the individual sourcebooks and supplements, but I would at least try to buy
one of the "combined-format" books to give it a chance and see if I'd want to
continue. The fact of the matter , though, is that most of the gamers I'v
ever come across are on a budget, and if it comes down to buying a book that
only covers 1/3 of what they are interested in, they won't buy it.

Just my .02 cent sliver o' ghost rock added to the pile...

Ryan