Re: [DL] Wedding Shemp?

you'll see some people listed as "Fake Shemp."  This refers to a number of
3 Stooges short subjects that were filmed while Shemp Howard was recovering
from a heart attack, so there were a lot of people that were SUPPOSED to
look like Shemp from the back, but if you watch carefully, they're shorter,
or taller, or not big enough.  The Fake Shemps appeared in several of the
shorts because the Stooges were not exactly their studio's top priority.
So, at various times, an executive would say something like "Okay, they're
done shooting for the day on that medieval castle set." and they'd go and
shoot a pie fight, then move on to another set.  So several films would be
shot piecemeal and put back together later on.

When Raimi was filming Evil Dead, a lot of the cast also worked behind the
camera, so when someone was needed both on camera and behind it, someone
else would stand in for them, and thus earn the title Fake Shemp.