Re: [DL] Kitty Hawk

In a message dated 9/25/00 10:48:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
netse@severian.chi.il.us writes:

<< Here's a note of interest, though: The exact location of the first four
flights is not within the modern city limits of Kitty Hawk, NC, but rather in
the adjacent town of ... Kill Devil Hills. >>

    One of the things I had to leave out of my part of BACK EAST: THE SOUTH
was the legend of how Kill Devil Hills got its name. Basically, this rather
wicked fellow decided to go the whole nine yards and sell his soul to the
Devil for gold. Before the time came to fulfill his part of the bargain, he
reformed and desperately began searching for a way to get out of having to
surrender his soul. He concocted a scheme in which he lured the Devil out
onto the dunes and knocked him into a sand pit he'd dug, which then collapsed
and buried Ol' Scratch. The fellow then ran away, shouting "I killed the
Devil!  I killed the Devil!" -- hence, Kill Devil Hills. :)

Steve Long