Re: [DL] Crossovers

In a message dated 9/27/2000 6:33:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
toadpooka@juno.com writes:

> I was considering something along these lines awhile back, but I never
> got too far into it.  Unfortunately, most crossovers involve a "portal
> between two different realities," which I don't care for at all as a plot
> device, so I was trying to figure out how to make the In Nomine idea work
>  without that idea.
    Well, prone to stubbornness and overintellectualization as I am, I've
given it some thought.  And I wouldn't use something as inelegant as a
dimensional portal in less really necessary.
   Now, on to my ideas for IN Deadlands.  Basically, I would see IN Deadlands
as the Reckoning happening in the In Nomine universe.  Perhaps Uriel's purity
crusade made heaven enough enemies to give Hell the winning hand, perhaps a
scheme of one of the demon princes (kobal perhaps, the demon prince of dark
humour?  Perhaps the reckoning was a little joke on his part), but suddenly
Heaven is fighting an uphill battle.
   Imps (known to the Indians as manitou, yes imps would be more impressive
than normal in this crossover) create undead for Saminga (prince of death for
anyone not that knowledgeable about IN), empower
hucksters for Asmodeus (he is the prince of the game after all), and inspire
mad scientists for vapula (prince of technology, one of his minions is the
demon of mad science!).
   Baal can be thanked for keeping the Civil War going, with some help from
Malphas prince of factions.
   Beleth princess of nightmares can be thanked for all those nice
abominations roaming the weird west that aren't manitou derived, they are
ethereals from her portion of the marches.
    Jean, archangel of lightning, would try to counteract the influence of
mad science with pure science.
   Blandine archangel of dreams would be busy trying to bring piece to
mankind's mind, and ironically enough no archangel would think her a slacker
in a Deadlands crossover because they don't think that's important.  Less
fear is a very, very good thing. :)
    Laurence, archangel of the sword, patron of Catholicism, and trainer of
soldiers would be the patron of all Blessed, even if they are of a religion
he personally doesn't care for (pretty much all non Catholics), although so
could Khalid, archangel of faith, and patron of Islam.

    Michael would certainly be the patron of the enlightened martial artists
and gunslingers.
    The superiors I don't mention, well I just can't think of anything
special to say about them in the crossover.  <shrugs>
      Do to their natures, black magicians, blessed, and harrowed have a
built in excuse for Soldier status (which I guess would be a new AB I suppose
for this crossover), for that matter shamans and the like could easily be
Soldiers for the third side.
     Hmm, in In nomine, sorcerers are magic users whose powers work through
the summoning of demons.  In an IN Deadlands crossover, they should probably
be merged with black magicians.  Although considering the power level
required for a true merging of In Nomine and Deadlands, a PC black magicians
probably wouldn't be particularly noticeable.
     Power levels: Adding celestials to a Deadlands group would tilt the
power level quite a bit, so it's not for those who are squeamish about power
levels.  Celestials could teach Songs, (for that matter there would be the
possibility of such headaches as a celestial awakening the essence of a
huckster so that they aren't dependent on manitou).  And for that matter I've
gotten the impression that more than a few think that harrowed are powerful
enough, much less the possibility of adding songs or the like.
   For that matter, the celestials themselves are probably are as
advantageous as say the garou rules for Deadlands.
   Although one could try a limited crossover.  A PC gets possessed by a
kariotate when the chips are really down, or perhaps the next baddie the PCs
have to go after is actually a shedim of belial, a powerful being capable of
possessing fire itself.