Re: [DL] Crossovers

 >somebody tell me I'm not alone.  Somebody please just mail me and say, I
 >hear ya, Gurps is wacked.  Deadlands is better off without them.

Well - I can give you a yea and a nay.
First - I don't have a subscription to Pyramid.  (The internet was built
for the /free/ exchange of information - but that's neither here nor
there.)  So I haven't seen the playtest data.  I'm just going on what you
posted.

But the yea's
I personally don't like the Gurps system - it is too generic for my
tastes.  I am a firm believer that mechanics dictate story.  Going from PEG
Deadlands to Gurps is akin to going from fine Japanese cuisine (enjoyed by
some immensely and utterly repulsive to others) to a Big Mac.  (Not really
considered "good food" by anyone, but in general everyone accepts it as
edible.<don't over analyze the example>).  It's bland, but more accepted by
people.
By removing the cards and other specialty mechanics of DL they are
bleaching a lot of the flavor out of the system.

Also - there is the adage that "Too many cooks spoil the soup."  It is
possible to over-playtest something.
So I agree with you there.
(Man, now I'm hungry)

Now the nea's.
Gurps has a responsibility, if not a duty, to keep it's fan base
happy.  Their core customers are expecting "Gurps" Deadlands.  Not
Deadlands: Gurps.
Deadlands is already getting a major benefit simply by exposing the setting
to SJG's customer base - some of whom may end up exploring DL further and
picking up PEG's core books.
But to widen that exposure, the Gurps book should be as close to the
"standard" Gurps mechanics as possible.

I'm not gonna buy the book.  I don't need it, and as I said - I don't like
the Gurps mechanics.  But the book isn't targeted at me.

<shrug>

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html