Re: [DL] Sure someone's gotta know this.

 > >Bit of lost history I'm trying to get right for my campaign.  What did
> > >they call trenchcoats prior to their being worn in the trenches in the
> > >Great War.  (From whence the name derives.)
> > >I've used the term "Saville Row Longcoat," but that seems a bit wordy.

I think the term is "slicker."

"Except in cold weather, an old-time cowboy seldom wore an overcoat...But he
did carry a slicker, which served him as a greatcoat as well as wet-weather
apparel. Usually yellow...the slicker was a voluminous affair with long
skirts, and a slit and gores in the back, so that it could cover the whole
saddle, as well as the man....Early slickers often had no pockets, but later
there were two side pockets with slit openings so you could reach your pants
pockets inside, as in modern Army overcoats. Typically, the slicker closed
with big buttons and a fly front."

--The Look of the Old West by Foster-Harris, Bonanza Books, 1955.

Other coats usually worn during the period wear greatcoats (which were
fairly similar to the long coats used by the Army), frock coats for
dress-up, sack coats (similar to single-breasted suit coats of today), waist
coats (or heavy vest for most purposes), and topcoats (often approaching
overcoats in size).

Hope that helps,

John