[DL] News propagation

How quickly would news of noteworthy events (presidential
elections, major battles, the second coming) propogate from coast
to coast?  News could conceivably travel within hours through the
telegraph.  As far as I know the modern "wire service" didn't
exist yet, so I'm not  who would have incentive to send articles
out to other cities. Given that the news would need to make it's
way through multiple nations, things might take a bit longer.

My best guess is a few days, and that the information travels
by a mix of hand delivery and wire.  Does anyone else have an
opinion, or even better, some facts?

--
Alan De Smet  -  chaos@highprogrammer.com  -  http://highprogrammer.com/alan