Re: [DL] Question

Scheduling, to me, is one of the most important elements of just about any
role-playing game, and one of the most underrated.

Having a consistent time to play, with a regular routine insofar as
confirming, dealing with food issues, transportation etc., makes a huge
difference to a game.  On the one hand it lets people plan their lives
around the all-important game, and for another, it eliminates confusion as
to when/if there is a game that day/week/moon cycle etc.

Of course, some time real life intervenes, especially in the case of those
gamers whose priorities are out of whack and put school or work or family
ahead of table time, but while such people are a trial, they can at least
make our lives bearable by letting the Marshal and other gamers know as soon
as possible when there's a snag, thus giving the group a chance to
reschedule, or failing that, to plan for the sudden block of free time.

Then there are impromptu games.  We're having a Halloween special, which was
tossed about as different peoples' schedules came into conflict.  Not much
you can do if things don't work out; the other side of the regular game coin
is that people who know that they're gaming Saturday (for example) can
reasonably expect to do whatever they like with the rest of the week.

As for organised food/travel etc., I find it makes it so much easier to
concentrate on the game itself.  In fact, running another game
(non-Deadlands) I used to award brownie points to the player who took the
food orders (if done unobtrusively) and the guy who offered lifts (so as to
eliminate that source of stress when it gets late, or in the middle of the
terrible Canadian winter), just as I did the group's note taker (helped
with write-ups enormously, etc.

Not huge bonuses, but enough to let them know they're appreciated.

Ross Coburn
coburn@sympatico.ca