Re: [DL] My 10 cents worth

Though I am a relative newcomer to this list, I am a long-time fan
of PEG. Hands-down, Deadlands is the best game I have ever played.
Over the course of the last three years, my friends and I have kept
a campaign going in one way or the other; some leave, some stay, but
the core group has remained the same--

And I say three years, because three years ago I moved to Savannah.
The same core group I play with now has been playing Deadlands
since it hit the shelves. (And my fiance has been the one running
it for us.)

While I have not had the opportunity to play HoE, the bookshelves
in my house are lined with every single sourcebook, boxed set, and
dime novel PEG could put out, including those released for HoE.

I don't claim to know what makes a business work-- I'm an English
major, not a Business major. But Shane and the rest of the folks
at PEG knew how to make a -game- work, and how to inspire a sense
of loyalty among their fan base, not to mention how to tell a good
story. They took customer service and quality to a new level,
never condescending to the fan base, never treating us merely as
customers and commodities. I understand that the bottom line is
important-- without that bottom line, any game, even one as inspiring
and well-written as Deadlands, is doomed to failure.

Those who accuse Shane of selling out are doing him a great disservice--
and through him, the rest of the fine folks at Pinnacle who work very
hard to make sure that we get more of what we can't get enough of.

All I really wanted to say is that I'm behind them all the way, and
I'm behind the game all the way.

Like I said, I don't know enough about the business end, or Cybergames
in general, to comment on that aspect-- but I would urge Cybergames to
remember the reason they sell books at all. It was actually rather
heartening to open my in-box and find this flurry of letters. While
I feel that calmer minds will prevail when the fury has died down,
I do hope that Cybergames has taken some of these issues to heart,
and will learn from them. I would hate to see a fine game like
Deadlands get lost somewhere below the bottom line.

Melissa (a player) &
Marshall James McCoy (also subscribed to this list, under
                         natawatha@aol.com)
"If wishes was horseflesh, we'd all be ridin"
           from "The Hamlet," by William Faulkner
http://www.angelfire.com/weird/savannah/index.html

Dude! Get The Coolest Email Address In The World..."your_name@stoned.com"...
                         It's FREE And It's STONED!