Re: [DL] Selling Out

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:09:58 -0500 "Jeff Yates" <jyates@poboxes.com>
writes:
> I know how that feels, as my partners and I are currently
> trying to sell a chunk of our company for working capital.  I also know
that
> those with money only give up the money in exchange for something -
> control.

This isn't entirely true.  In business, the people with money often give
it up for something other than control--more money.  This is what stock
investors do on a daily basis.  They buy a piece of a company in order to
share in that company's profitability.  Technically, that share of stock
gives them some small voice in the company, but most shareholders know to
leave the decisions to the experienced people, and don't bother to vote
in shareholders' meetings.

>  So now Shane finds that he is the only one left at PEG.  Can he still
> keep Deadlands alive?  Yup.  Same way other companies do when low on
> manpower -- outsourcing.  Much of the Deadlands material pre-Cybergames
was done
> by freelancers, anyway, so as long as good freelance talent still does
> the work, the books will still be outstanding.

This is how I see it too.  I doubt Shane is going to be doing all the
writing, editing, layout, proofing, et al, himself.  Granted, I'm really
sorry to see the other staff go.  I'm probably the biggest Hopler fan on
either list.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the writers
who we all revere showing up as freelancers, assuming any other books
ever make it to the friggin' shelves.

From Whom It May Concern,
Rich A. Ranallo

"A man who has blown all his options can't afford the luxury of changing
his ways.  He has to capitalize on whatever he has left, and he can't
afford to admit--no matter how often he's reminded of it--that every day
of his life takes him farther down a blind alley."
-Hunter S. Thompson, "Hell's Angels"

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.