Re: [DL] Disarming shots

In a message dated 1/8/2001 7:51:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dbrune4@po-box.mcgill.ca writes:

<< In Law Dogs, it states this about disarming shots: "If the attack is
successful, roll the damage as normal. The target must then make a Strength
roll, using the amount of damage done as a Target Number."

 So what is the size increment we're supposed to use to divide the damage
total? Is it the size of the target holding the gun, or that of the gun
itself (in which case what the heck is a gun's size?)? I'm assuming that the
total needs to be divided, because if not the TNs would be ridiculously high.

    You're not supposed to divide by anything, unless the PEG guys changed
what I wrote or I've forgotten something. ;)
    The TNs *might* be ridiculously high. I've seen guys roll in the 40s and
50s for damage on 3d6, and I'm sure most of y'all have, too.
    OTOH, they might be ridiculously low. I've also seen rolls of 3, 4, and 5
on 3d6. Similarly for other dice combinations.
    As with any other thing, the higher the total on the dice, the better the
shot -- so, logically, the better the likely outcome (i.e., the better your
chance of disarming the target). I, at least, have no problem with this; I
think it encourages fun, dramatic, flashy, Lone Ranger-style combat tricks,
as opposed to simply trying to gun your enemy down.
    If you disagree, or find the TNs too high, I think it'd be easy enough to
find a divisor to suit you -- 2, or 3, or whatever. You could also increase
the Strength of a target that's holding onto a gun with two hands, just for
purposes of resisting the disarm.

Steve Long