[DL] Re: DL D20

Okay...

I'll hit the surface of this, but everyone be aware that this is a work in
progress. Also, please be aware that I'm not really one of those
"design-in-public" type of game designers, so, for a wagonload of reasons I
humbly ask everyone to _not_ flood the list (or my personal email <g>) with
suggestions, wants, etc. on this topic. :-)

Here's the base idea behind DL D20: Make it as accessible to folks who are
only familiar with the D&D 3E or Star Wars D20 game as possible, not to
force that system to accept standard DL conventions. After all, if someone
wants to use poker cards and poker chips, they can play the regular game...

The goal is to preserve as much of the setting and feel, while not straying
too far from what's already "standard fare" for these folks. I'm considering
_optional_ rules to allow an adventurous GM to use playing cards for
hucksters, but please note the two very important words in that statement:
"considering" and "optional."

I know this may disappoint some our faithful, but honestly folks, we're not
trying to sway you away from our own system; we're hoping to make the
setting more "user-friendly" for people intimidated by the DL mechanics.

That said, there are going to be one or two tweaks that aren't present in
D&D 3. However, as my own time is much more limited than it was "back in the
day," I'm playing my cards a little closer to my chest right now. Otherwise,
I'm afraid I'll be deluged by questions and comments. :-)

Personally, I'm pretty pleased with the plan so far. I think we'll manage to
preserve the "feel" of DL even though we're using a different system.

Conceptually, DL D20 was pretty far along by the time I left PEG. However,
there's many an hour between concept and print. :-)

John Goff