Re: [DL] Weight of firearms

Well, weight is one factor (I think a typical, 5" Peacemaker likely weighs
about two and a half pounds loaded, but don't forget the weight of all those
extra cartridges), but bulk is another matter entirely.

I recently picked up a replica (non-firing) S&W American, and handing it
around (it is likely slightly lighter than the real thing, due to different
metals used, but close enough) ended any number of disputes as to how many
firearms someone could reasonably, and better yet comfortably carry.

I think many people don't have any real concept of just how long, say, an
American really is; to strap 'em to your body, comfortably and where you can
reasonably get at 'em, well, there are limits.

And as for shotguns and rifles, well, see above, but moreso.  As a former
infantry soldier who lugged either an (equivalent) FN-FAL or M-16 around,
it's not just a question of weight, but how unwieldy it is as well.  You get
used to it (ONE of them, anyhow), but you've always got to take it into
account; when running, sitting, jumping, lifting something else or bending
over... You get the idea.

--
Ross Coburn
coburn@sympatico.ca