RE: [DL] The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne

I've been catching it (missed two episodes so far, but I'm not about to cry
myself to sleep. Keep reading...). I pretty much had to, what with my love
of all things Scientificly Victorian. The fact that Michael Praed (the
coolest Robin Hood ever) is in it also made me want to see it. My feelings
on the series, thus far, are decidedly mixed...

The guy playing Jules Verne is a practical non-entity. He could disappear,
and the series could go right on without him. I don't know if that's the
fault of the writing or what, but Phileas and Rebecca Fogg are easily the
strongest characters on the show. Unfortunately, I've also found the
'scientific' writing to be a bit obvious and ham-handed at times, and the
cinematography looks a bit too much like a video game cut-scene. All you
need is a little pixilation, and voila! The costumes, settings, etc. are
quite good, though. It does have that going for it.

One good thing I can say, is that the episodes are getting better as they go
on. Hopefully, this is a trend, and the show will survive. There aren't many
Period shows that come out; it'd be nice if -one- of them would last more
than a year (R.I.P., Brisco County Jr.).

All in all? Right now, I give this series a score of 6 of 10. I'm hoping
it'll get better, but...

Derek D. Bass
Etheric Musings - The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://members.home.net/wangenstein/ether.htm

Anyone out there been watching this series on the Sci-Fi
Channel? It's pretty good so far, and just full of adventure
ideas and mad science... You'll also get a chance to see
what some of the more unusual weapons of the time looked
like. For example; Finius Fogg (I'm quite sure I spelled
that wrong) carries a Le Mat, and in the last episode
Countess <what's her name> was carrying a Volcanic Pistol.

Eric

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com