RE: [DL] How to use Hoyle

At 09:07 AM 5/5/2001 -0700, you wrote:
 ><<I cannot possibly be the only one on the list mad enough to purchase
 >an original Hoyle (mine one is the prayer book sized one from the 1840'ies)
 >force.>>

What year?

I have a Enner's edition Hoyle's from 1845.
Remember that Hoyle died in the 1760's and in order to have your book on
games taken seriously, you had to slap Hoyle's on it somewhere.

As for the lack of diagrams/mystical tie-in's, perhaps this paragraph from
the foreword (or Advertisement) from my book might shed some light.

"THE very high reputation which Hoyle's Games have deservedly maintained
for nearly a century, has lead to innumerable Editions of the Treatises --
all, as the phrase is, "revised," "corrected," "much improved" and
"considerably enlarged." But it seems to have escaped the observation of
his numerous Editors, that Hoyle wrote for those who were previously in
some measure acquainted with the mode of playing the various games of which
he treats, and that his Work was intended to enlighten the already
instructed, than to instruct the wholly uninitiated."
                                 Edin  April 1st 1838              E.T.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Famous last words:
         (1) "Don't worry, I can handle it."
         (2) "You and what army?"
         (3) What happens if you touch these two wires tog--
         (4) Don't unplug it, it will just take a moment to fix.
         (5) Don't worry boys, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--