RE: [DL] How to use Hoyle

<<I have a Enner's edition Hoyle's from 1845.
Remember that Hoyle died in the 1760's and in order to have your book on
games taken seriously, you had to slap Hoyle's on it somewhere.

As for the lack of diagrams/mystical tie-in's, perhaps this paragraph from
the foreword (or Advertisement) from my book might shed some light.

"THE very high reputation which Hoyle's Games have deservedly maintained
for nearly a century, has lead to innumerable Editions of the Treatises --
all, as the phrase is, "revised," "corrected," "much improved" and
"considerably enlarged." But it seems to have escaped the observation of
his numerous Editors, that Hoyle wrote for those who were previously in
some measure acquainted with the mode of playing the various games of which
he treats, and that his Work was intended to enlighten the already
instructed, than to instruct the wholly uninitiated."
                                 Edin  April 1st 1838              E.T.>>

That is very interesting. My copy is done by Thomas Frere and distributed by
Locke and Bubier.
In the Preface, written by Thomas Frere, he quotes some of the statements
written from your copy. Here it is, since I have nothing better to do.

PREFACE

We might say, "the very high reputation which Hoyle's Game have deservedly
maintained, for nearly a century, has led to numerous editions of his
treatise--all of which," &c., giving innumerable imperfections, in detail,
of all previous editions, and continue, "but it seems to have escaped the
observation of his numerous editors," &c., naming here many extreme
necessities for a new edition, and adding that "the publisher congratulates
the public on having been so fortunate as to secure the valuable services
of," &c., "by whose renowned skill and long experience he is now enabled to
lay before the people the most complete," &c. ; but we don't say anything of
the kind about our little book--quite the contrary : THERE ISN'T A LINE OF
"HOYLE" IN IT. Hoyle is a fossil, and suited only to fossil players. We in
these days play finer shots than Hoyle ever played. For proof, see
"Mathews," whose Whist text we print. And as for Chess--only think of the
authority of Hoyle! We look to Staunton, Kling, Horwitz, Von der Laza,
Anderssen, Jaenisch, Harrwitz--any of whom would literally have beaten Hoyle
with their eyes shut. As to Billiards, we have never had the good fortune to
see an original "Hoyle" with Billiards in it at all. If Hoyle played
Billiards, we can guarantee that "Michael" could have "discounted" him. We
also wonder whether Hoyle played Droughts: if so, whether he could ever have
won a game of Sturges, Anderson, or Martin!
We happen to have a copy of the "Eleventh Edition" of a book by one "Edmond
Hoyle, Gent. ;" every volume of which edition was given to the world only
with the author's real, genuine autograph, done on the title-page with
veritable goose-quill, and countersigned in the same manner by his
publisher, (a course which we would suggest to some modern publisher - only
to prevent piracy, you know!) Hoyle's object being, as he states, "to detect
and prosecute whoever shall presume to print or vend a private edition ;"
and he further informs us that he "has already arrested nine persons," (got
them in the nine holes) "for pirating and selling pirated editions." Now,
being aware of the sentiments of Hoyle on Piracy, we call upon his Shade to
compare our book with his own genuine--according to himself--"according to
Hoyle"--and by his own hand subscribed; and if he finds a line of his in it,
and will "communicate," we agree to come down handsomely, for damages to the
legal representatives of his assignee at once.
The German game of "Sechs und Sechszig" or Sisty-six, has never before, that
we are aware of, been dressed in an English garb. We do not hesitate to
pronounce it the best game of cards for two players that we ever practised.
On concluding his labors, the Editor dismisses this little volume, with the
hope that it may prove conductive to the pleasures of many a fireside, and
be received by the public in a manner somewhat commensurate with the care
taken in its compilation.
- T F.
Brooklyn, N.Y., March, 1857