RE: [DL] Care and Feeding of a Marshall

If you asked my players they will tell you that my games are deadly. They fear death is around every corner in my game. but only one player has ever lost more that one character in 3 years

In my game this effect comes from an old writers crutch i use called "The Reflective Character". You don't NEED to kill PC's if you can just show them what COULD happen to them. To this end, I create interesting full rounded NPCs. with depth and personality (well i try to). i make them helpful, needed and well-liked...

... and I kill THOSE guys.

It's so freeing to just WACK the Mad Scientist that has been helping the players ever since the start. Or take the players 'ward' hindrance and get'em blown away when they unwisely start a firefight in the middle of town. (not to mention the horror my player faced when she had to kill that same little brother who's come back from the dead). Or when you have to climb up into a tree to cut down the intestines of the good friend that was supposed to be watching your back. You can touch your players with death without having to kill their PC's.

Cheyenne "Grim Servant O' D" Wright