Re: [Re: [[DL] Erie Canal] long]

Right I looked up the info on the group marriages I'd found in:

"An Underground Education: the unauthorized and outrageious supplement to
everything you thought you knew about art, sex, business, crime, science,
medicine, and other fields of human knowledge."

-it's an amusing book of all the true "dirt" not grit of history, and it's
just the sort of book I want to throw at all the uneducated who keep claiming
the 1950's were some sparkling clean utopia in history.

Anyway here's a quote from the begining of the section in question:

"Pundits dubbed upstate New York the "Burnt over Region" because the fires of
so many revivals had flared there.  Of all the many sects that came and went,
none aroused the national fury like John Humprey Noyes's Perfectionist
movement at Oneida, New York. (The press called it more of a "Free Love"
movement..)"

The commune & group marriage was established and lasted 20+ years, but they
don't go into much detail of all the charges brought against Noyes. I suspect
it was his Eugenics program that finally got him.  It says he moved away to
Niagara Falls due to the controversy in 1876.

Oneida community still exists today although not as a commune or polygamy
-many of the families involved are still up there and some are also still
directly tied to the Oneida business (Silverware among other things.)

;)