Re: [DL] The Big Picture- Tying it all together

----- Original Message -----
From: <Ratbastryd@aol.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: [DL] The Big Picture- Tying it all together

> Britain
>
> Goals- to be all Britain-like. But in all seriousness, to maintain and
expand it's empire.

> Strengths- Large industrial capacity, cheap labor pool, world's greatest
navy, professional army.

> Weaknesses- Not many. It's army is small, but professional. There's a bit
of trouble with the Zulus and the Irish.

> Friends- The CSA, the Freemasons
>
> Enemies- The USA, the Zulus, the Irish, the Germans, the Reckoner.

It's probable that, in the Deadlands Universe, the various labour laws of
the 1840s (the Ten-Hour Act etc.), which were highly controversial at the
time anyway, will have been repealed, enabling the return of (more)
extensive child labour and 14 hour days for the average factory worker. The
control of the industrial elite, and friction with the established, monied
aristocracy would mean that the biggest enemy faced by the British,
effectively, is themselves. It also would seem appropriate, perhaps, to
include the population of India - or at least the Indian aristocracy - as
Enemies of Britain.

Just my tuppence worth, (and believe me, there's a whole sack of them lying
around the place)

Sam de Smith.