[DL] Rifles in Deadlands

Good evening all,

I am troubled by one of the holes (as I see it) in the way long arms are
handled in Deadlands, and so am looking for advice/opinions.

See, Winchesters, Spencers etc., used pistol ammunition, whereas Sharps,
Springfields, etc., used much more powerful rifle ammunition.

Trade–off was interchangeability with pistols vs. range and damage.
(Many folks scoffed at using a Winchester for shooting anything but
people up close, and the lever action was ill–suited to more powerful
cartridges until much later). The bigger guns already have
disadvantages; they tend to be single shot, for one, and use different
ammunition than you'll find in a pistol.

I have been considering either knocking down range/damage for
Winchesters, etc., or upping same for big guns. Anyone try this, have
any thoughts on the matter, or otherwise feel like contributing?

Thanks in advance,

Ross