[DL] Blaze of Glory Hindrance (was New Email)

> > Blaze of Glory (5 point Hindrance)
> > You may want to die, you may not, either way, its gonna happen and  > >
>you know it. The only thing you can do is try to make sure that you > > do
>it being heroic. You don't know when it will happen or how, the  > > only
>thing you know is that old age is not something you will live  > > see.
>Before every game session the marshal secretly draws one card > > for every
>Grit your character has plus one additional card.  The  >upside to this is
>that if you live long enough you may make a name > for yourself before
>dying. The bad side is that the more heroic you > >get, the more likely you
>are to die. This ain't the Reckoner's fault, > >its just one of them things
>attributed to fate. Your character may >draw for harrowed with one
>exception. He must draw one card less than > >his total Grit. That's the
>down side of dying a hero's death. Make it > >count, son, you might only
>get one chance.
>
>I like this.  It makes a great potential Mysterious Past or VotWW >draw.
>You might say, though, that you can't take it AND Death Wish, >since the
>player could just incorporate the Death Wish into Blaze of >Glory.  Also,
>how would one award chips for it?  It wouldn't really >inconvenience the
>character until after they're dead, and it's not >something one can
>roleplay.  Still, I do like it.  It is definitely >interesting.
>
>Nick Zachariasen
>Editor Emeritus
>Trojan Times

You make some good points here sir.  I had not thought about the combination
of that and Death Wish.  It certainly could be tied in the way you mention
basically giving someone 10 points for the same effect.

I had envisioned this flaw being one that plagued the character much like
Nightmares and let me tell you, contemplating one's own death, especially
when the timing and method of it is out of your control can be quite
detrimental to one's sanity.  The point behind this flaw is that your
character WILL DIE.  Perhaps something to the effect of the following should
be added:

Your character spends a good deal of his time dealing with his own demise.
This can be contemplating how it might happen, devising ways in which he can
go out in an important way, or simply wallowing in his own misery and
becoming best friends with the bottle.  No matter what this weighs on your
mind heavily.  When confronted by a major villain (as per marshal's
discretion) you are allowed a +2 on your guts check to simulate your coming
to grips with how you wish to die, and a -2 to all actions within the
encounter until the enemy has been dealt with.