Re: [DL] Something about a gunblade. (Yes, WW topic.)

Funny you should ask, a player of mine once asked for the same thing, we
devised rules for it, and they worked well, but sadly it never saw
action in game, but here's how we did it:

Doin the GunBlade... Dirk Style... (My god I can't believe I wrote this
in 1999!!!!)

Hey guys, thought I would put my spin on things and then we could all
vote on what set of rules for it we want to use (provided that scott
lets us use either set).  I tried to simplify things a bit and make it a
little more real, so here goes...

Stats...

The GunBlade (It just sounds cool doesn't it?)
Strength +1d8 +special (see below)
Speed 1
Reliability (determined by M.S.)

Usage....

This Weapons requires Special Training to use it (i.e. the "GunBlade"
fighting aptitude.)
It starts out like a normal sword, but when using it, during an attack
the wielder must make an incredible (11) deftness check, to see if the
wielder pulls the trigger at the right instant.  The sword aspect of the
weapon does damage as normal.  If the deftness check is made, roll a d20
for location (separate from the blade damage) to see if any extra dice
are added, then roll another d20 on the table below to determine how
many extra dice to roll for damage.

1     =0 extra d6 damage
2-7   =1 extra d6 damage
8-13  =2 extra d6 damage
14-19 =3 extra d6 damage
20    =4 extra d6 damage

Optional Rule:
For every 2 levels in the gunblade skill, add 1 to the deftness check.

I'll post an example of it's use later, gonna eat and think about it
some more.

--Dirk

Ok, now for the Example

Ok, I just pulled this outta my ass so show you how it would work.  I
drew four cards outta my deck and dropped the lowest so that I could
assign sample stats to a character.  I drew eight of diamond, King of
Diamond and Kind of Spades, I assigned them as follows

Nimbleness 2d10
Deftness   4d10
Strength   2d6

I also gave this character a level 3 in gunblade, we'll call him Bill.
Now bill's been around the block a few times, and has made a few
enemies, one day he tries to sit down for a nice drink and one of those
enemies, we'll call him Evil Joe decides to pick a fight... seeing what
is about to happen the bartender tells them to take it outside... well
they start to rumble and Bill decides to Attack Evil Joe with his
gunblade.  Bill rolls for the attack, fightin GunBlade 3d10, and gets
4,5,7.  A hit, he rolls location:  8 Lower Guts!

so here's where we stand so far
2d6(str) +1d8(weapon) +1d8(guts shot)... all this goes to the guts.

But.... bill pulled the trigger while swinging... did he do it at the
right time?  Check his deftness to see He rolls 4d10 for his deftness
and gets 1,3,6,9, no extra damage today, but if he had made that
incredible deftness check by rolling 11 or higher, it would have worked
like this.  Made the check, rolls location: 12 Arm, rolls one more d20
for the number of dice to use:  16, that's 3d6 to Evil Joe's Arm

Now all rolled out it comes out like this

Guts (2d6+2d8)  :  5+3+5+5=18, 3 wounds to the Guts
Arm  (3d6)      :  2+3+6(Ace)+2=13, 2 wounds to the Arm (left arm when
rolled later)

As examples will show, A check of 11 will make the  Blast of the Blade
not come into play every time, I rolled 4d10 20 times and only made the
check 5 times, 1 in 4, that isn't that much added power, well everyone,
run your own tests and see what you think, I'm going to bed, catch you
all later.

dirk