Re: [Re: [DL] Interest in program?]

> I'd be interested in helping, but I have a better way of doing it
> (IHMO) than a VB program.  I've been toying with the idea of writing
> a web based character generator, all that really is keeping me from
> doing it is great amounts of time.

Well, this is something else I was considering as a branch project to the
regular DLCG and HOECG, and when the time comes, LCCG. However, I think it's
important to get the regular character generators done because that could
then give us ideas as to how to implement an online version (plus most of
the hard work's already been done for us).  Here's the technical skinny on
it from Mr. Cook himself:

--------------------
I created the programs using Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0, and the BNWCG was
the first to switch to version 6. I use Microsoft Access 95 as the backend
database, MDAC 2.1 database drivers, and Acrobat 4.0 for the editable BNW
character sheet. I would be happy to allow a reliable party to take
ownership of all existing source code and documentation for the purpose of
updating and continuing maintenance of the programs. A good candidate for
this would be anyone who actually knows what the heck I was talking about in
the first sentence :)
--------------------

He did add PDF functionality to the BNWCG and was planning on adding it to
the other two but was not able to do so.  If nobody has any objection, I'd
like to take the stewardship of the source code, dispensing it to those who
wish to work on the Open-Source Character Generator project.  I've actually
been typing up the Toxic Guardians and favors from Spirit Warriors for the
purposes of putting them into the source database.  Admittedly, I'm not much
of a programmer, but I could possibly help with some of the basic things.
Eventually with the web-based version I could help by putting things into
XML (which I guess Access XP can automatically do, but it's doubtlessly made
in a Microsoftized style rather than standard), and possibly even with the
script that would display it.  However, that would be something for down the
road.

Anyway, now that we have the blessing of James Cook, sound off if you wish
to join the project!  I only await James Cook sending me the source, and
then the coding can begin!  Admittedly, a seperate listserv may be nice if
enough people sign on for the OSCG.

Nick Zachariasen
Editor Emeritus
Trojan Times