Re: [DL] Blacksmiths

In a message dated 6/30/01 7:18:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
sam.desmith@ntlworld.com writes:

<< Can anyone clue me in on how much blacksmith's tools (anvil, hammers etc.)
 would cost, roughly, in the West, or alternatively direct me to a suitable
 site? Also, what sort of Strength would be need to lift/carry an anvil?

For prices of most gear in deadlands I use GURPS old west.  I'm not a big
GURPS fan, but they do have a very nice list of eq.  Anyways, an anvil lists
at $15.00 and weighs in at 80lbs.  A blacksmiths tool set (bellows, hammer,
tongs, etc.) is $15.00
and weighs 100lbs.  The weight of the tool set makes me wonder if it includes
an anvil, but since it's the same price as the anvil by itself I would assume
not...

Now, according to deadlands you would need a d8 str to carry an anvil and it
would count as a heavy load so you would be at 1/4 pace.  It's not really
something you'd be carrying around, hopefully you'd have a wagon.