Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20010630-1

 >I would imagine that the penalties might be reduced if you could somehow
 >"distribute" the weight well -- like with a real good backpackers pack -- a
 >frame that helps make the load seem less cumbersome.   There are list
 >members who've been in (are in) the military.  Any comments on how fast you
 >can march with a big ol' pack on your back?

With a good frame pack, not too fast - but you can march all day.  With
only anecdotal evidence, I would say that it really doesn't take a lot of
weight to slow people down, but if it's packed and carried properly, they
can carry it for a lot longer.

I used to have to do 12 mile road marches in 3 hours on a semi-annual
basis, with the requirement of 35lbs of gear.  Well - that's pretty much
just your helmet, rifle, rucksack and LBE/vest, a full canteen - and a 10lb
weight in the rucksack.

The worst part of those things was not the weight, but that damn rifle -
you couldn't sling it so you had to hand carry it.  That took more out of
you then all the other weight combined.

I know because during a division level competition, I was on the team for
my battalion and we trained for the road march section by adding 25, then
50, and then 75lbs of weight to our rucks, and at the end of the 12 miles,
even after all that conditioning it was the rifle that took the most energy
out of me.  And that's just a 6 1/2lb M-16.

For a more historical analysis, look up Jackson's Foot Cavalry - he was
regularly able to cover 30 miles a day with his men.

No wonder that the Yankees run,
   And will not stop to fight;
For we've no need of sword or gun --
   They cannot stand a sight.
Our long hair floating on the wind,
   Like witches in Macbeth --
They know they dare not lag behind --
   We'll have their -- shoes, or death!
                 "Hard-cracker", a soldier under Jackson, 1862

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

It ain't over till it's over.