Re: [DL] Carrying a load

During the American Civil War there were 3 basic patterns available.

The "framed" would have been the "hard pack".  Wood frame, painted canvas. Heavy, very little storage space, rarest of the 3, not popular for those reasons.

The single bag knapsack was basically just that, an open bag with a flap for over the opening. No frame, but fair for storage.

The double back knoapsack had actually only 1 bag. The other "bag" was an area you could place something like a dry shirt or socks and 4 flaps joined in the center to cover the items.  The whole thing then folded over on itself.  The back of the bags providing the outside of the pack.  This pack also had no frame.

All 3 of these packs had shoulder straps which then buckled across the chest to each other.

None of these packs were very comfortable and many veteran troops prefered the "blanket roll".  In a blanket roll the personal effects of the soldier are placed onto his blanket. The blanket is then folded over the effects to form a long, thin effect.  The blanket is then twisted a number of times and the ends of the blanket are tied together forming a loop.  The blanket roll was then worn over the left shoulder and right hip so that the soldier could still fire his rifle-musket.

g'day
fremapth